Dr Matt Fishwick
Following five years working at leading environmental consultancies, Matt decided to establish Fishwick Environmental in 2012, an independent sustainability consultancy.
Matt began his career in consultancy at dcarbon8, undertaking embodied carbon assessments of building materials and entire buildings. He went on to work at Sustain with a focus on product carbon footprinting and LCA of food and agricultural products. His most recent position was at ERM working on a wide range of high profile environmental assessment projects.
Matt has a particular specialism in product carbon footprinting, having assessed hundreds of products in many different sectors, including a number of products that carry the Carbon Reduction Label. He has contributed to the development of the product carbon footprinting standards PAS 2050 and the GHG Protocol, including assisting writing the guidance for PAS 2050 and delivering a series of workshops on this standard for the British Standards Institution.
Fields of competence
- Product carbon footprinting (PCF) - PAS 2050, ISO 14067 and GHG Protocol
- Product water footprinting - ISO 14046 and Global Water Footprinting Standard
- ISO 14044 Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Social Life Cycle Assessment (sLCA)
- Organisational carbon footprinting - ISO 14064 and GHG Protocol
- Resource efficiency and circular economy
- Industrial ecology
- SimaPro, openLCA and WRATE
- Environmental product declarations (EPD)
- Science based targets (SBT)
- PhD Environmental Chemistry, Plymouth University, 2012 – 2016
- MRes Clean Chemical Technology, University of York, 2006 – 2007
- MSc Environmental Toxicology, University of Ulster, 2010 – 2017
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Science, Plymouth University, 2003 – 2006
- Fishwick, M., Sedwick, P., Lohan, M., Worsfold, P., Buck, K., Church, T. and Ussher, S., (2014), The impact of changing surface ocean conditions on the dissolution of aerosol iron, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 28, 1235-1250.
- Sheane, R., Nippress, J., Allen, S., Fishwick, M., Lillywhite, R. and Sarrouy, C., (2013), An initial assessment of the environmental impact of grocery and home improvement products. Oxford: WRAP.
- Thomas, B., Fishwick, M. and van Santen, A., (2012), A Carbon Footprint for UK Clothing and Opportunities for Savings. Oxford: WRAP.
- Thomas, B., Joyce, J., Fishwick, M. and van Santen, A., (2012), A Waste Footprint Assessment for UK Clothing. Oxford: WRAP.